Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Peas Are Taking Over--Hurry Spring

The peas are the happiest of all the seedlings. I don't think I have enough light for the tomatoes, cabbages, and cosmos. In my master gardener class I learned that "leggy" seedlings are stretching to get more light and that is called etiolation. Great new word!!

The wattage of the flourescent light is important to check if you use it for seedling starts. If you have started seedlings, be sure to "harden them off" before you plant them in your garden. Hardening off is placing them in full sun for a couple of hours a day to accustom them to the outdoor temperatures.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, how exciting! I want to get some wooden barrels and plant tomatoes and herbs. You're plants love you, look how healthy they are!

    ReplyDelete